Here is a slightly random collection of Emacs goodies, some of which will
help you with your Python programming. Most work for both the
latest XEmacs 20 and 21 and GNU Emacs 20 and 21
versions, and some even work for XEmacs 19 and GNU Emacs 19, with a little
work. Note that as of version 22, GNU Emacs has a new Python mode,
Please also see Barry Warsaw's Elisp packages for some more up-to-date versions of these
- python-mode (off-site link):
An Emacs mode for editing Python source code.
- reporter.el: An Emacs package that
helps other package authors easily integrate bug reporting
- elp.el: An Emacs Lisp Profiler
An Emacs mode for editing X window resource database files.
- outdent.el by Ken Manheimer:
Indentation-based outline exposure and maneuvering
- The Emacs Language Sensitive Editor (ELSE) by Peter Milliken:
This is an Emacs minor mode package that provides language sensitive
editing. Python language templates are available.
- Pymacs by François Pinard: A
powerful bridge between Python and Emacs Lisp.