Hylafax Mailing List Archives

Re: [hylafax-users] cover sheet problems - solved

On Thu, 2 May 2002 07:49:07 -0400
rob <rapodaca@hendry.com> wrote:

> Hello to everyone,
>
> I was hoping someone could help me or at least point me in the right direction.
> I am using HylaFAX 1.4 on mandrake 8.1 installed from rpm
>
> Faxing is working great I now need to put in my company's fax cover sheet. The default faxcover.ps works but it is not in my company's format. Here is where I have been having the problems.
>
> I have tried the solutions posted here:
> http://www.hylafax.org/HylaFAQ/Q202.html
> to create my own ps cover sheet.
>
> The problem that I have with the first solution is that the make_cover script produces a ps doc that has errors. Specifically:
> "Error: /undefined in to"
> This even occurs when I use the script to convert the eps file that is included with the download of make_cover!
>
> So, I tried the suggestion provided by Randy Davis. Trying this, I am able to get a ps doc that I can view and print without any errors. I can even send a fax and use it as my cover page. The only problem is that the ps 'variables' do not get substituted in...so I end up with a cover page and no data in the applicable fields.
>
> I downloaded the latex-cover.sty files. I can't find any information on how exactly to use this. The README doesn't explain how.
>
> Ok, so then I tried the tgif solution by Affan Ottenheimer. Since this solution uses the make_cover script, I had a ps file with errors... same as above.
>
> I have tried all sorts of combinations of the above...even trying to edit files manually (I dont know anything about ps programming) but am having no luck.
>
> Also, the documentation here:
> http://www.hylafax.org/howto/tweaking.html#ss6.2
> leads me down a path to a ps file with errors described above.
>
> It seems like I am very close by using tgif to create my doc, but I must be missing some key piece of information.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> rob apodaca

I seem to have solved my problem and thought I'd post it for the archives.
I first created my document with tgif. Then I converted it straight to ps format (skipped the whole eps thing). Then I manually edited the ps file as described below.

I think that all my problems were from this little 'setlinejoin' section...specifically the /S part. /S was already in use by my original file so, it must have been causing problems. I changed it to below:

1 setlinejoin
/nullstring () def
/IS {
	dup where {
		pop
		load dup nullstring ne {HS} {pop} ifelse
	} {pop} ifelse
} bind def
/M  { moveto } bind def /HS { show  } bind def
/RS { show  } bind def

My doc was already using /M so I commented it out. It was also already using /S so I changed above to /HS (note 2 places). I put this 'setlinejoin' stuff right at the end of prolog section.

Then down in the actual variable sections I made them look something like this:
NP
0 SG
   GS
      1 W
      272 352 M
      GS
            0 SG
            /Helvetica FF [20 0 0 -20 0 0] MS
            /to-fax-number IS
      GR
   GR

I think that the reason that make_cover does not work is that it does not appear write the 'setlinejoin' section to the file.
--
rob